Glowing from the Inside Out
“Nothing can dim the light that shines from within”- Maya Angelou
Once you realise that you are the only one responsible for your happiness, you can make changes to your life that cause you to radiate joy. Read on to find out how to shine your light and experience improvements in your health and appearance.
1. Be honest: Nobody knows you better than you know yourself. Do a deep dive into what makes you happy then do those things often. Doing what comes natural to you improves your confidence and that reflects on the outside. Abandon any habit that’s not making you a better version of yourself. Know what you feel, say what you mean, do what you love and be considerate of others -that's how to spread joy.
2. Travel more: Studies show that exploring new places improves mental health. Try a moderate change of environment whenever you can to boost your mood and broaden your mind. It could be a simple as sleeping over at a friend’s house or taking a long stroll, with each stroll longer than the last. However, avoid travelling to long distances frequently as that could cause stress, anxiety, insomnia and even depression.
3. Avoid comparison: It’s great to look up to people for inspiration but when aspiring to be like someone makes you feel unworthy, you need to take a step back and re-evaluate. Theodore Roosevelt once said “Comparison is the thief of joy.'' Comparing yourself to someone else hinders your creativity and breeds envy. Studies show that envy affects the liver by reducing its ability to detoxify the body. We were all created uniquely hence our output will not be the same. Take your time to get to the destination that has been designed specifically for you and celebrate all your victories along the way.
4. Exercise regularly: Making exercise a lifestyle is very essential for wellbeing. It could be an early morning jog or a late night swim. Apart from the benefits to physical appearance, energy and memory are enhanced, stress is relieved and sleep is optimised because blood flows freely to the brain during exercise. There is also a fulfilment that comes with exercising as productivity is increased and you are able to achieve more each day.
5. Eat healthy: Clear and radiant skin starts with what we put in our bodies. You know how when you ask someone the secret to their glow they say “I drink water and mind my business”? Well, it’s not just a catchphrase. Staying hydrated by eating water-rich foods such as cucumbers and watermelons helps flush out toxins and regulates metabolism. Processed, sugary and oily foods on the other hand, cause health complications in the long term and may also lead to depression.
6. Show kindness: It's the digital age where we drift through life glued to our devices or distracted by too many things at once, forgetting about actual human connections and simple acts of kindness. Kindness is never too small or too big and you've probably heard by now that "a smile goes a long way". So, start with a smile then recognise the presence of the people you come in contact with everyday and watch happiness grow. After that, do more. Marianne Williamson in her famous poem: Our Deepest Fear said “As we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.
What’s the secret to your glow? We’re taking notes.